What is Generative Design?
Generative design is a design exploration process. Designers or engineers input design goals into the generative design software, along with parameters such as:
- the performance or spatial requirements
- manufacturing methods
The software explores all the possible arrangements of a solution, quickly generating design alternatives. It tests and learns from each idea what works and what doesn’t. You could think of it as a virtual interior designer and renovation expert. Generative design software can be an assistant that helps with:
- evaluating options
There are six steps in the process of Generative Design
- Generate - This is the stage when design options are created or generated by the system, using algorithms and parameters specified by the designer.
- Analyze - The designs generated in the previous step are now measured, or analyzed on how well they achieve goals defined by the designer.
- Rank - Based on the results of the analysis, design options are ordered or ranked.
- Evolve - The process uses the ranking of the design options to figure out in which direction designs should be further developed or evolved.
- Explore - The designer compares and explores the generated designs, inspecting the results based on their original criteria.
- Integrate - After choosing a favorite design option, the designer uses or integrates this design into the wider project or design work.
Generative Design at Schemmer
Schemmer's Josh Murphy, BPAC, explains, "Firms utilizing Generative Design have the ability to look at multiple design iterations without spending the hours traditionally spent by the design team." Schemmer has implemented the use of Generative Design at the Space Planning level during Schematic Design. Once the script has been created, it is a matter of scale. We are looking at spaces within a building, but it also applies to buildings on a site and sites within a development.
Design with Purpose. Build with Confidence.
Schemmer is a full-service architecture, engineering, and construction field services, consultant. Providing responsible solutions for complex design and construction-related challenges.
Founded in 1959, we are grounded in our past but remain fully committed to the future. Located in three States and six offices throughout the Midwest, Schemmer is providing services to clients from coast-to-coast and border-to-border across the United States.
Schemmer's services include:
- Field Services