How has COVID-19 affected Senior Living environments?
The COVID-19 pandemic has made a difference in the way senior living facilities are being planned and designed. Design must include quality of care and flexibility to keep residents and caregivers safe from this and future potential threats while still providing solutions that contribute to the social and mental health of residents and staff. Some suggestions for design include:
- Reconfigure layouts to take social distancing measures into account
- Adapt common areas into spaces that are more amenable to infection control measures
- Create smaller neighborhoods - residents can live, socialize and dine together in smaller groups.
- Living spaces that seem well-suited for sheltering in place, with access to the outdoors, including small terraces or balconies
- Use of antimicrobial or easily-cleaned materials and materials that are more germ-resistant
- Air filtration and purification
- Designing for technology – virtual socialization (worship services, exercise, learning activities, etc.), tech support, motion controls, voice controls, telemedicine
- Dedicated clean room for in-person visits
- Private fitness rooms
Owners must also take into consideration the health and well-being of staff. This could include:
- Safe delivery entrances that don’t jeopardize the health of delivery people or tenants
- Pre-lobby testing zones
- Touchless and voice-activated controls
- Tech-forward health monitoring and robotics
- Enhanced staff areas for safety such as lockers, showers and uniforms
- Enhanced break rooms
- Addition of outdoor space
- Separate entrance and exit to avoid interaction with others
Senior Living Planning and Design Specialists
Schemmer has been involved in senior living design projects in more than 20 states with construction costs ranging from $1 million up to $99 million. These partnerships include every level of care including:
- continuing care retirement communities
- assisted living/dementia care
- nursing care
- Veteran homes
- physical therapy and wellness
Our extensive working knowledge of such trends ensures we will deliver a wealth of valuable information on senior living for your consideration of implementation.
In an industry that’s constantly changing, balancing regulations and the growing needs and demands of aging adults and their families, Schemmer is there. We plan and design functional, welcoming environments across multi-level campuses. Ultimately creating a home for any senior regardless of their current or future care needs.
Schemmer provides effective solutions based on:
- our clients’ core values
- needs of the people they serve
- our comprehensive knowledge and expertise in the assessment, planning and design of the project
We understand that every community has strategic services aimed to benefit residents' daily lives. Our personal approach helps us to truly understand the logistics of how your building design needs to respond to maximize the support you offer to your seniors.
Schemmer - Design with Purpose. Build with Confidence.
Schemmer is a full-service architecture, engineering and construction field services consultant, providing responsible solutions for complex design and construction-related challenges. Founded in 1959, we are grounded in our past but remain fully committed to the future.
We believe in a creative, collaborative culture. Our diverse and talented professionals work together to create effective, goal-driven solutions. This team-oriented culture extends directly to our clients as we involve them as active participants in the design process. Our combined experience and ideas lead to stronger relationships, more efficient processes, and the best solutions.
Schemmer's services include:
- Field Services