Council Bluffs, Iowa’s vision is to rebuild West Broadway, an urban two-mile stretch, to serve as an attractive front door to the community. It serves to unite the neighborhoods, provides access and connectivity, and stimulates economic redevelopment and private investment in existing properties.
The Western Gateway Project at 34th Street and 1st Avenue will help carry this vision by re-imagining the 8-1/2 acre property into a development that reflects the community’s care for its image, public spaces and quality of life. The development is anticipated to include:
- Six apartment buildings
- Two bedroom (1,000 – 1,100 SF): 90 units total
- One bedroom (700 – 800 SF): 42 units total
- Studio apartments (500 – 600 SF): 12 units total
- Micro Units (300-400 SF): 80 units total
- Townhomes – two bedroom (1,300 SF over 700 SF garage): 40 units total
It will also include healthy housing features such as indoor fitness amenties, common kitchen facilities, restorative outdoor views, bike trails, community gardens, rooftop entertainment patios, outdoor playgrounds and much more.
Schemmer provided architectural and engineering conceptual design for the development.